- The selected raw materials to make CERABEADS are fired at a high temperature (1680°C), making the structure dense.
- CERABEADS is an artificial sand made of mullite crystals with an extremely stable quality.
- It is made by firing spherical granules, not by crushing.
- CERABEADS have the following advantageous chemical and physical properties:
- Uniform component composition
- Stable grain size distribution and air permeability
- High refractoriness (SK37, 1825°C)
- High resistance to wear, crush and thermal shock
- Little thermal expansion
- Excellent fluidity and filling efficiency owing to being spherical
- As foundry sand
- Sand for loop system
- As spot sand, face sand for sand casting
- Sand for applications where high accuracy in dimension and surface smoothness are required
- As reusable lime sand
- Sand for rapid prototyping and Additive Manufacturing (AM)
- As setter for high-temperature furnaces
- As media for fluidized bed
- As ceramic filters
Grain size composition and grain size distribution
|Powder bulk density
|Coefficient of thermal expansion
After 300 sec (%)
|Coefficient of heat transfer
|Main chemical components||Al2O3 61%
|(1) Powder bulk density||As CERABEADS is about half as light as zircon and chromite, it can turn out about twice the number of molds per unit weight. It can also be handled very easily, saving labor and transfer power costs. However, attention should be given to the amount of binder addition.|
|(2) Refractoriness||Having high refractoriness (SK37, 1825°C), CERABEADS can be used for casting various materials. There is also no need to use different sand type according to material.|
|(3) Coefficient of
|Owing to little thermal expansion, CERABEADS is excellent in dimensional precision.|
of heat transfer
|As CERABEADS is smaller in thermal transfer compared with other sands, special attention and arrangements should be made when it is used in cases where a high coefficient of thermal transfer is required.|
|(5) Specific heat||Although CERABEADS is higher in specific heat compared with other sands, it may be evaluated differently depending on the mold making method or casting method.|
Casting sand is regenerated and reused over and over by undergoing heating and cooling processes. We have looked into various differences in the crushability of casting sand through the crushability test (S-6) and variations in explosive thermal expansion through the repeated explosive thermal expansion test according to the Japan Foundry Engineering Society.
(1) Crushability test
This test shows clearly that CERABEADS has a higher resistance to crushability compared with other general casting sands. CERABEADS also demonstrated its excellence in resistance to wear, crush and thermal shock, while also showing a high yield ratio when it is used repeatedly as a casting sand.
- 1) Sample
- The sand volume was adjusted to CERABEAMS 600g to make a test sample.
- 2) Method of heating to explosive heat temperature
- The test sample adjusted to room-temperature was put into an electric furnace heated to 1300°C. After heating for an hour, the test sample was take out from the furnace quickly, and cooled to room temperature.
- 3) Crushing method
- The test sample heated by explosive heat and cooled to room temperature was loaded into a magnetic ball mill (5L volume) together with 40 pcs of alumina balls of 20Φeach and crushed for 20 mins. After crushing, the grain size distribution was measured and the grain fineness number (AFS) was obtained by calculation. The steps 2) and 3) were repeated 3 times to measure the crushability.
- 4) Crushability index calculation method
- Crushability (%) = (AFS after crushing / AFS of base sand)×100
(2) Repeated explosive thermal expansion test
The little thermal expansion of CERABEADS is evident in comparison with quartz sand.
When collected, regenerated and reused, CERABEADS little thermal expansion is maintained with practically no change even after repeated use. This indicates its stable quality to meet the requirements of strict dimensional precision.
If you have any questions or inquiries,
please contact the following
[CERABEADS Sales Sec.]
12-8, Shiokusa-cho, Seto-shi, Aichi 489-0895, Japan
Tel: +81-561-21-3715 Fax: +81-561-21-4141